Menu

The Importance Of a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Friday, September 9, 2016

The cooler weather is right around the corner and with that, our home will be tightly sealed with our furnaces working to keep us warm. Having your home insulated and sealed is a great thing in the colder conditions, but can be a negative thing when it comes to carbon monoxide. Levels can accumulate to a hazardous state in a short period of time, making it very dangerous for you and your family to be exposed to. We can’t stress the importance of having a working carbon monoxide detector in your home enough, and here are some reasons why it’s absolutely essential to have one:

What Causes Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning? CO poisoning is caused by the incomplete combustion of fuels including oil, propane, natural gas, coal, wood, kerosene, gasoline,diesel fuel and charcoal. Deadly amounts of carbon monoxide can be produced by defective or poorly vented appliances that use these fuels such as furnaces, fireplaces and wood stoves, as well as water heaters, generators and vehicles. Since the deadly substance is colorless and odorless, it’s crucial to have a CO detector installed to alert you of any dangers before they become a problem.

 

What Are Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? While CO poisoning can manifest itself in many different ways, some of the most common signs include  weakness, dizziness, nausea, dull headache, vomiting, shortness of breath and blurred vision.  According to the American Medical Association, CO poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America, where 1,500 people die annually due to it. Because CO poisoning can resemble other common ailments, it's important to recognize the symptoms and seek medical attention immediately if you think you or a family member have been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide.

Why Do I Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector? CO detector detects the presence of the gas before it reaches dangerous levels. It’s important to properly place your CO detector, preferably near where you sleep, so it will wake you in the event of danger. It’s recommended to have a detector on every level of your home or right near fuel-burning appliances to alert you at the first sign of a leak. Nest Protect is arguably the best CO detector out there, alerting you if it detects CO or smoke, even when you are away.

Make sure to keep you and your loved ones safe and install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. It’s also important to maintain a safe and reliable furnace. At the first sign of any issues, give the professionals at A.B. May a call. We’re here for all of your HVAC needs. To learn more about the services we offer, or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at 913-370-4898 or visit our website.

Google Reviews